Re: GTK+ File dialog hangs

On 7/30/07, Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

Wow.  I've never had a single directory with 12000 files.  What file
dialog have you tried that does work?  How do KDE file dialogs handle
it?

Well, my sylpheed mai-archive directory has almost 33K files in it (I mostly use gmail these
days anyway). Still, from a shell, it doesn't take a whole long time on my box (an Athlon 1000) to
list the contents:

dfox@m206-157:~/.Mail/temp/inbox$ time (ls -l | wc -l)
32287

real 0m1.134s
user 0m0.744s
sys 0m0.352s

Any "file picker" will take at least that much time - if not a lot more - to stat() all the files and get the metadata
info, thne it has to present all the data (in fairness, ls -l takes more time than plain 'ls'.

Opening up krusader and having it show the same directory does take a bit of time - at least a few seconds, probably
more, although I didn't time it. But at least it doesn't hang.

Doug.