Re: Large initrd [Was: Re: booting problem (udev related?)]

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 10:35:01AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> same here. interesting. I'll have to play with that. You could
> probably tighten it up even more by using the 'list' option and
> putting a minimum-necessary list in /etc/initramfs-tools/modules. At
> least that's how I read it.

That's too much hacking for my taste.

> So what is the significance of initrd size? (other than the obvious
> filling up /boot issue). Is it really a problem to have "most" modules
> in there? I can think of some situations where it might be nice to
> have most of them -- mobo fails catastrophically and you want to be
> able to just boot, for example.

This is about it. Debian wants to provide an initrd that works even ehn
changing hardware. Same reason for installing all -xorg-video-foo
packages.

> Finally, I have on this (sid) system both initrd-tools and
> initramfs-tools installed. The latter is brought in by the kernel
> dependencies, and the former is manually installed. Who knows why or
> when I did that, but is one preferred over the other?

AFAIU initrd-tools are deprecated and should not be used:

http://wiki.debian.org/InitrdReplacementOptions

There is also a nice comparison of initramfs-tools vs. yaird, though I'm
not sure how recent this is.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)