Re: Large initrd [Was: Re: booting problem (udev related?)]

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 06:23:04PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 11:10:25PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Miles Bader wrote:
> > > Hmm, I didn't realize it analyzed the system when building the ramfs
> > > contents.  Maybe I could just reinstall the kernel while the new kernel
> > > is running (or is there an official "hint" mechanism I could use)?
> >
> > Yes.  Please try that.
> >
> > > [I thought it just included _every_ possible module on the ramfs --
> > > judging from the enormous size of the installed kernel package, it seems
> > > like it!]
> >
> > :-)
>
> Yes, I know what you mean. I was using yaird to make my initrd, but it
> gave some errors on the latest upgrade (and Steve Langasek, Debian
> kernel maintainer suggested it is no longer maintained). So now I'm
> exploring the initramfs-tools package. The first initrd was about *5
> (five)* times bigger!

wow! I never noticed that. And in fact I probably wouldn't have as
 this system doesn't have any initrd's left from yaird. My server
 which was an etch/testing box for a while has a couple older initrd's
 that are 1.4 megs or so versus the newer ones at 5-6megs. yikes.

 I changed the config for including modules from
> 'most' to 'dep' and I got a much smaller (but still a bit bigger then
> yaird) initrd. Haven't tried to boot with it yet, though ;)

same here. interesting. I'll have to play with that. You could
probably tighten it up even more by using the 'list' option and
putting a minimum-necessary list in /etc/initramfs-tools/modules. At
least that's how I read it.

So what is the significance of initrd size? (other than the obvious
filling up /boot issue). Is it really a problem to have "most" modules
in there? I can think of some situations where it might be nice to
have most of them -- mobo fails catastrophically and you want to be
able to just boot, for example.

Finally, I have on this (sid) system both initrd-tools and
initramfs-tools installed. The latter is brought in by the kernel
dependencies, and the former is manually installed. Who knows why or
when I did that, but is one preferred over the other?