mysqld query logs

Hello,

Basic question but I can't get to resolve it by googling around and
playing with the options: when I start the mysqld daemon using the
(unmodified) init script /etc/init.d/mysqld, the daemon is not logging
any queries nor errors to syslog. Starting the mysqld_safe binary with
the -l or --log-error options do not help. Actually I'd prefer the
daemon to log to /var/log/mysql.log and /var/log/mysql.err, but
specifying these files also doesn't work. Can you give me a pointer?

Thanks,

Nicolas