Re: IM on a home debian network

On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 04:22:23PM -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 10:54:34PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 11:30:05PM -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> >
> > > and leave this VC 1 open.  VC 2 is ssh'd to the box and either mutt or
> > > 	$watch -n 20 "from -c"
> > >
> > > VC 3 is for net-related curses stuff (currently a wget session).
> > > VC 4 is where I type startx when I need to.
> > >
> > > There was a time when I had Ctrl-Alt-UP set in inittab to open a new vt.
> >
> > Never heard of 'screen'?
> >

> I have heard of it, but it relies, like so many other gnu tools, on the
> operator (me) having either a good memory or a cheat-sheet for
> keystrokes.  I have a poor memory (learning disability) and a
> cheat-sheet makes using it very slow.  Whereas, Ctrl-Alt-UP is simple.
>
> Doug.
I just started to use screen and it has 'control-a ?' which given you
the 'cheatsheet'. But you dont need all the commands to start using it.

I use:
'screen MYCOMMAND' to start a new screen session
control-a " for menu-based session selection
control-a n for 'go to next screen session'
'screen -list' to list the sessions

there are many more, but it is easy to try and then ask here for more
advanced options.
-K
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|