Re: new Etch install fails to boot

On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 11:00:30PM -0400:
> [I wrote that my fresh Etch install calls grub and then stops.]

I've tried the remaining suggestions without luck and am now royally
confused.

1. I installed the grub-disk package and ran the following:
     dd if=grub-0.97-i486-pc.ext2fs of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024 conv=sync; sync
   There were no errors.  I could mount the floppy and read the files.  I set
   the BIOS to boot off the floppy.  The system touched the floppy but failed
   to boot off it.  I tried this with the box I'm working on and one that is
   successfully running Etch.  I repeated the test with a second floppy,
   which also didn't boot.

2. I tried repeatedly to install grub from the CD in rescue mode.  The
   install seemed to succeed.  I poked around with a rescue shell and
   confirmed that files had been installed in /boot/grub.  However, booting
   the machine still gave the usual message from the dead, i.e.:

     Verifying DMI Pool Data ..........
     GRUB Loading stage1.5.
     Read

3. I reformatted the partitions, reinstalled the base system, and tried to
   install lilo.  This came up:

     LILO installation target:
       /dev/hdf: Master Boot Record
       /dev/hde1: new Debian partition
       Other choice (Advanced)

   Note that the first one is for hdf, which is the second drive.  I have no
   idea why.  Anyway, I tried all of these, include Other with /dev/hde and
   /dev/hde1.  In all cases, I got "lilo-installer failed with error code 1".
   Console 4 showed the following:

     Setting up lilo (22.6.1-9.3)
     mount: /dev/hde1 already mounted or /boot busy
     dpkg: error processing lilo (--configure)
     subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 32

   Still, I verified that /etc/lilo.conf was there, and there were no grub
   files anywhere under /target (including under /boot).  I finished the
   installation anyway, and found it totally bizarre when a reboot produced
   the same output as before, including "GRUB Loading stage1.5".  It's as if
   this string lives on the MBR and I'm unable to overwrite it.

Practically all I can think of now is trying to install Windows and see if
that's even possible.  That's pretty desperate.

In case it's relevant, here's how fdisk showed the filesys in rescue mode:

  /dev/hde1   *           1          12       96358+  83  Linux
  /dev/hde2            4819        5005     1502077+   5  Extended
  /dev/hde3              12        4818    38604195   83  Linux
  /dev/hde5            4819        5005     1502046   82  Linux swap / Solaris

I do appreciate all of your suggestions and am sorry this is going on so
long.