Re: new Etch install fails to boot

On 07/31/2007 08:31 PM, Steve Kleene wrote:
[...]
   Still, I verified that /etc/lilo.conf was there, and there were no grub
   files anywhere under /target (including under /boot).  I finished the
   installation anyway, and found it totally bizarre when a reboot produced
   the same output as before, including "GRUB Loading stage1.5".  It's as if
   this string lives on the MBR and I'm unable to overwrite it.

Which MBR? Each fixed disk can have its own MBR. It sounds like you have six ATA devices installed; the BIOS is trying to boot from one of those devices, and you need to write to the MBR for that device.

BTW, did you change /etc/lilo.conf to work with your system?

Practically all I can think of now is trying to install Windows and see if
that's even possible.  That's pretty desperate.

In case it's relevant, here's how fdisk showed the filesys in rescue mode:

  /dev/hde1   *           1          12       96358+  83  Linux
  /dev/hde2            4819        5005     1502077+   5  Extended
  /dev/hde3              12        4818    38604195   83  Linux
  /dev/hde5            4819        5005     1502046   82  Linux swap / Solaris

I do appreciate all of your suggestions and am sorry this is going on so
long.

Where are and what are the devices before /dev/hde?