Re: essential services? ssh, nfs?

On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 05:52:12PM +0000, Tyler Smith wrote:

> Now that I have nothing listening to the outside world, do I still
> need a firewall? I have been using firestarter, but not consistently.

I look at a firewall as icing on the cake.  If you reject and log local
to net, anything trying to go out that you haven't configured gives you
something to trace.  For example, I recently put etch onto my 486 and
installed ntp.  Between the time I installed it and when I configured it
to look to my main box, it came configured to try to access the debian
ntp pool.  Those packets were rejected but I go an email from my main
box warning me about it.

Doug.