Re: essential services? ssh, nfs?

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007, Tyler Smith wrote:

Hi,

I'm working through the security quick start how to, and I'm not clear
on what services are required and which ones I can safely remove. I'm
running a single laptop, which I connect to the net via wireless at
home or at cafes, and via an ethernet cable at work.

1) I never login remotely, so I think I can safely do away with
openssh-server?

tcp6        *:ssh                   *:*       LISTEN     3026/sshd

2) The how-to suggests that for my setup I don't need anything to do
with NFS - netstat reports rpc.statd and portmap as listening. Can I
just purge nfs-common and portmap?

tcp         *:37381                 *:*       LISTEN     2603/rpc.statd
tcp         *:sunrpc                *:*       LISTEN     2578/portmap

3) I have apache installed as a dependency of doc-central. netstat
shows it to be listening to all interfaces. Is there a way to set it
to listen only for local connections? I don't understand this very
well, but it seems I shouldn't need to listen to anyone from the
outside to connect to my docs.

tcp         *:www                   *:*       LISTEN     3826/apache

4) The only remaining listeners I have are:

tcp         localhost:929           *:*       LISTEN     3721/famd
tcp         *:auth                  *:*       LISTEN     3661/inetd
tcp         localhost:smtp          *:*       LISTEN     3385/exim4

What is auth? Since famd and exim4 are only listening to localhost,
can I conclude they are not a security risk?

Thanks for your help,

Tyler

--

erf, it's too early, not enough coffee yet, but you might want to add this one to the list too:
update-rc.d -f nfs-common remove

You can also just remove the packages that control these though. But, personally I like to keep them around, just incase I need to turn them back on at some point. It's come in handy for me a few time to have the services available

-+-
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.