Re: Stability issues

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 08:48:40PM -0400, Mike Robinson wrote:
> >Mike Robinson wrote:
> >>I'm almost to the point of blowing the system away and installing
> >>Etch.  Anyone with insight would be appreciated.
> >
> >Well, I've decided to throw in the towel and install Etch.  I think
> >I'd like to boot with an Etch install CD, keep my partitions, but
> >blow away the Debian Testing installation with Etch.  I have one
> >large partition with all of the data I need to save; the rest can go
> >away.  I've never done anything like this before, so any
> >warnings/advice is welcome.
>
> Okay, dumb question.  It's been a while and I want to get it right.  I
> plan on downloading the minimal install CD and do a network install.
> My processor is an Athlon 64 3200+, but I want the 32-bit distribution
> with the 'k7' kernel.  Which install image to I burn?  I *think* it's
> the i386 image, and hopefully it'll let me choose the kernel
> architecture during the install.  Is this correct?

Yes, you want the i386 netinst.iso.  The installer will present you with
two sets of kernel choices.  One is an actual kernel version the other
is a kernel meta-package that depends on the most recent version.
Other than that, I don't know if it will give you the whole list.

I'm on dialup and I just do a base install (don't have it look to the
net for anything) to get a working system fast.  Then I run aptitude and
get the packages that I want.  You could do this too since the -486
kernel will run on the athlon, then update to your kernel-of-choice.

Just curious: why not amd64?  I'm running it on my Athlon64 3800+.  The
_only_ thing I need 32-bit for is adobe flashplayer, for which I run a
chroot for the browser.  That problem is fixed in Lenny/Sid but I didn't
want to go that route.  After having done it, setting up the chroot was
rather simple and schroot makes running it a breeze.

Good luck with the install.

Doug.