Re: RAID1 Boot Partition

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 03:03:28PM +0300, Chaim Keren Tzion wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to set up a software RAID1 system with two 320GB SATA
> disks.
>
> I have followed the instructions at both these links below (using lenny
> instead of etch because of what seems to be unsupported hardware in the older
> kernel):
> http://ads.wars-nicht.de/blog/archives/54-Install-Debian-Etch-on-a-Software-Raid-1-with-S-ATA-disks.html
> and
> http://www.networkjack.info/blog/2007/01/03/debian-linux-etch-software-raid-1/
>
> I had issues with both procedures.
> 1. Both of them failed when I chose to install the "Standard system" item in
> the tasksel stage of the install.
>
> 2. When I chose to not install the "Standard system" I
> A) got a minimalistic system which uses lilo(yuck) as a boot loader

so install grub. (probably after the stuff below...)

> B) The RAID1 MD device that I created for the /boot partition exists but was
> not added to the /etc/fstab, no files were written to that device/partition
> and the system actually boots from the root MD device instead.

create a mount point: /newboot, mount the md0 device there, copy over
the /boot stuff to /newboot. umount /newboot and remount it at
/boot. manually install grub to each of the disks so that you can boot
from either one. Fix up your /boot/grub/menu.lst so that it points to the
right devices...

root (hd0,0)
kernel vmlinuz... root=/dev/md1

adjust your devices accordingly

you may have to update-initramfs to ensure that the right
stuff is setup in the initramfs...

> 3) The second URL above uses LVM which I wouldn't have used otherwise but I
> was desperate to finally get the RAID to work and followed the instructions
> exactly. Is LVM any type of requirement for a software RAID system?

nope.

> The system works but everything is on the root MD device.
> Any ideas/pointers on how to do it right?
> 1. I preffer Grub
> 2. Would like to boot off the first MD device/partition
> 3. I preffer not using LVM
> 4. I would like to have the "Standard system" packages install.

4. you can rerun tasksel and pick the standard system from there.

hth