RAID1 Boot Partition

Hi,

I have been trying to set up a software RAID1 system with two 320GB SATA
disks.

I have followed the instructions at both these links below (using lenny
instead of etch because of what seems to be unsupported hardware in the older
kernel):
http://ads.wars-nicht.de/blog/archives/54-Install-Debian-Etch-on-a-Software-Raid-1-with-S-ATA-disks.html
and
http://www.networkjack.info/blog/2007/01/03/debian-linux-etch-software-raid-1/

I had issues with both procedures.
1. Both of them failed when I chose to install the "Standard system" item in
the tasksel stage of the install.

2. When I chose to not install the "Standard system" I
A) got a minimalistic system which uses lilo(yuck) as a boot loader
B) The RAID1 MD device that I created for the /boot partition exists but was
not added to the /etc/fstab, no files were written to that device/partition
and the system actually boots from the root MD device instead.

3) The second URL above uses LVM which I wouldn't have used otherwise but I
was desperate to finally get the RAID to work and followed the instructions
exactly. Is LVM any type of requirement for a software RAID system?

The system works but everything is on the root MD device.
Any ideas/pointers on how to do it right?
1. I preffer Grub
2. Would like to boot off the first MD device/partition
3. I preffer not using LVM
4. I would like to have the "Standard system" packages install.

Some details:
-------------------------------
# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]

COMMENT: (Mounted as / (jfs))
md1 : active raid1 sda6[0] sdb6[1]
      312375744 blocks [2/2] [UU]

COMMENT: (Should be mounted as /boot (ext3))
md0 : active(auto-read-only) raid1 sda5[0] sdb5[1]
      192640 blocks [2/2] [UU]
-------------------------------
# cat /etc/fstab
#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/mapper/volume1-root /       jfs     defaults,errors=remount-ro 0   1
/dev/mapper/volume1-swap1 none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/mapper/volume1-swap2 none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hda        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0

TIA,
Chaim