Re: etch setup and some questions

Hi LostSon,

On 7/25/07, lostson <lostson@lostsonsvault.org> wrote:

  ... I have read that once a debian release goes into stable like
etch has you do not see very many updates or new apps just security and
bug fixes mostly.

I know about enabling testing and such but I have done that once and it
broke my machine pretty bad, so I do not wish to go down that road
again.

Check out this link: http://www.backports.org/

Here's the intro from their home page:

Introduction

You are running Debian stable, because you prefer the stable Debian tree. It runs great, there is just one problem: the software is a little bit outdated compared to other distributions. That is where backports come in.

Backports are recompiled packages from testing (mostly) and unstable (in a few cases only, e.g. security updates), so they will run without new libraries (wherever it is possible) on a stable Debian distribution. I recommend you to pick out single backports which fits your needs, and not to use all backports available here.

Manon.