Re: etch setup and some questions

On 7/24/07, lostson <lostson@lostsonsvault.org> wrote:
#1 I currently have gnome installed can I install KDE and remove gnome
and if so how ?

Sure, aptitude install kde would bring in the metapackage; hence, most or all of KDE. As for removing gnome, I guess you can do that too: "aptitude remove gnome". OTOH, it may be better to leave installed -- I am not sure what dependencies would cause issues were you to just remove the metapackage. If you need the disk space, and don't need gnome (although there are some gnome-like applications that use its libraries, I would think) then go ahead and get rid of it.

#2 I like gnome but am a little disappointed in the fact that debian is
only at version 2.14.3 is this how it will stay ? Or as time goes along

It should update from time to time. However, etch is a stable version, which means that no new upgrades (such as a new gnome) would be available. You could live with that, or try getting involved in Lenny (testing) or Sid (unstable) versions, which might have newer versions of gnome installed.

It seems that Lenny (testing) has 2.4.3-6 if I interpret correctly. But I don't use gnome.

As to whether it's worth it to ride the testing branch for a newer version I would not be able to provide a decent enough answer :(.

will this get updated as well. The same goes for gajim the current
version in stable is 0.10.1 but the newest version on the website is

I'm not sure what version of which package you're referring to.

I know about enabling testing and such but I have done that once and it
broke my machine pretty bad, so I do not wish to go down that road
again.

You have to be careful - and it may depend on  when in the cycle you do the upgrade.

LostSon