Re: Installing OOo 2.2.1 from backports on Stable

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 12:25:21PM -0700, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:
> On 07/24/2007 08:40 AM, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 11:51:28PM -0700, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:
> >> Should I purge OOo first? This is my first attempt to install
> >> from backports, so I am not sure about this. I have searched,
> >> but did not find anything helpful.
> >
> > If you want to see a cleaner output from aptitude, just for
> > fun, then yes, remove OO.o first, but I think it looks clean
> > and I would go ahead.
> >
> >> ---- Begin Aptitude Output ----
> >> The following packages are BROKEN:
> >>   [snip package list]
> >
> > aptitude likes to make you panic...
>
> LOL! And it works too. I have seen output several times that has
> made me think hard before continuing. But it's silly the way it
> handles this scenario. It says the packages *are* broken, which
> is not true.

not sure if that's a bug or a feature... I suspect, without spending a
bunch of time reading all the deps, that you're dealing with a series
of packages and/or meta-packages that may not exist in the bpo
repository and so appear to _aptitude_ to be broken.
[... kept back stuff]

> > kept back means that new versions exist, but you are not
> > installing them. This is a side effect of having backports in
> > your sources.list. There are newer versions of all these
> > packages in backports, but you're not using them... which is
> > probably what you want at this point.
>
> I see. I did not think it through it very well. If I use pinning
> to set the backports priority very low, should I still see that?

Probably because the packages would still be held back, but IDK.

> >> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> >>   openoffice.org-gnome: Depends: openoffice.org-core (= 2.0.4.dfsg.2-7etch1) but 2.2.1-1~bpo.1 is to be installed.
> >>   openoffice.org-core: Conflicts: openoffice.org-calc (< 2.2.1-1~bpo.1) but 2.0.4.dfsg.2-7etch1 is installed and it is kept back.
> >>                        Conflicts: openoffice.org-writer (< 2.2.1-1~bpo.1) but 2.0.4.dfsg.2-7etch1 is installed and it is kept back.
> >>   [snip more conflicts]
> >
> > this just shows you what all the conflicts are.
> >

> I guess I was a little confused why aptitude reports those
> conflicts. I just assumed that because I am installing a new
> version, that it would not need to show me that the newer version
> conflicts with the older version.

yeah, okay. for example, above, openoffice.org-gnome probably doesn't
exist in backports, just the core openoffice.org packages. So
openoffice.org-gnome is broken and has unmet dependencies (=
2.0.4..). But I'm not going over to my archives to look at the
moment... A little calm, measured, reading of the complete messages
usually makes it at least vaguely clear (along with some apt-cache
depends <package>).