Re: Installing OOo 2.2.1 from backports on Stable

On 07/24/2007 08:40 AM, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 11:51:28PM -0700, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:
>> Should I purge OOo first? This is my first attempt to install
>> from backports, so I am not sure about this. I have searched,
>> but did not find anything helpful.
>
> If you want to see a cleaner output from aptitude, just for
> fun, then yes, remove OO.o first, but I think it looks clean
> and I would go ahead.
>
>> ---- Begin Aptitude Output ----
>> The following packages are BROKEN:
>>   [snip package list]
>
> aptitude likes to make you panic...

LOL! And it works too. I have seen output several times that has
made me think hard before continuing. But it's silly the way it
handles this scenario. It says the packages *are* broken, which
is not true.

>> The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
>>   libcurl3 libxt-java
>
> I find this interesting. I would hold these packages for later
> investigation as to why they are being removed.

Okay, thanks.

>> The following packages have been kept back:
>>   kdelibs-data kdelibs4c2a kdemultimedia-kio-plugins ktuberling
>>   libarts1-akode libfinance-quote-perl libkcddb1 libkdegames1
>>   libmysqlclient15off libpisock9 libpisync0 linux-image-2.6-486
>>   mysql-client-5.0 mysql-common mysql-server-5.0 openoffice.org-help-en-us
>>   ttf-opensymbol tuxpaint tuxpaint-config tuxpaint-data vim-common vim-full
>>   vim-gui-common vim-runtime vim-tiny
>
> kept back means that new versions exist, but you are not
> installing them. This is a side effect of having backports in
> your sources.list. There are newer versions of all these
> packages in backports, but you're not using them... which is
> probably what you want at this point.

I see. I did not think it through it very well. If I use pinning
to set the backports priority very low, should I still see that?

>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>   openoffice.org-gnome: Depends: openoffice.org-core (= 2.0.4.dfsg.2-7etch1) but 2.2.1-1~bpo.1 is to be installed.
>>   openoffice.org-core: Conflicts: openoffice.org-calc (< 2.2.1-1~bpo.1) but 2.0.4.dfsg.2-7etch1 is installed and it is kept back.
>>                        Conflicts: openoffice.org-writer (< 2.2.1-1~bpo.1) but 2.0.4.dfsg.2-7etch1 is installed and it is kept back.
>>   [snip more conflicts]
>
> this just shows you what all the conflicts are.

I guess I was a little confused why aptitude reports those
conflicts. I just assumed that because I am installing a new
version, that it would not need to show me that the newer version
conflicts with the older version.

Thanks for your explanation, it was helpful. I will go ahead with
the install.

--
Glen