RE: FW: Sending Email from script

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Sackville-West [mailto:andrew@farwestbilliards.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2007 3:37 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: FW: Sending Email from script

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 03:11:33PM -0400, Mace, Nathan wrote:

>> From: Andrew Sackville-West [mailto:andrew@farwestbilliards.com]

>> On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 12:26:40PM -0400, Mace, Nathan wrote:
>> > I tried changing the option below and restarted Exim.  That doesn't

>> > seem to have made any difference in the log file.
>>
>> might be my bad. the proper line is
>>
>> QUEUERUNNEROPTIONS='-d'
>>                  ^
>>
>> but the line should already be in your /etc/default/exim4 and just
>> needs editing.
>>

> You are correct, the line was in my config.  I tried adding the "S" on

> the end, that didn't make any difference.  When I do a
> "/etc/init.d/exim4 restart" it tells me it is restarting then drops me

> back to the command line.

okay, that's weird. (the lack of output from -d option).

>> > I setup Evolution, and set it to use our exchange box as a smtp
>> > server, that worked fine.  When I set the smtp server to that box,
>> > I get a
>> > "172.16.0.39 Connection Refused" error.  172.16.0.39 is the IP of
>> > the server.
>>
>> now I'm confused. first you say it works fine and then you say it
>> doesn't. please elaborate.

> That was a typo on my part.  What I meant to say was that when I used
> the exchange server as my SMTP server I could send mail fine through
> Evolution.  However when used the IP address of the linux server, I
> got a connection refused error.

okay, so we're talking about two servers here, right? one is an exchange
server that seems to work just fine and the other is a linux server that
is refusing to accept mail from you, do I have that right?

If so, why not just specify the exchange server as a smarthost and leave
it at that? Or you have to get into the linux server and reconfigure its
mailer to accept mail from you...

The Exchange server needs to accept mail sent from the linux box.  The
linux box doesn't need to accept mail from anything.  This is strictly a
1 way conmminication.  From the linux box, to the exchange box.

>> > I also JUST noticed that when I do a "ps aux | grep exim" there
>> > aren't
>>
>> > any exim processes running!  So I went to \etc\init.d\ and run
>> > "./exim4 start".  It reports that it is starting the MTA... No
>> > error messages are reported.  However doing a "ps" still doesn't
>> > show any
>> exim processes!
>> > There are no errors in syslog related to exim not starting that I
>> > can see.
>>
>> wah? what does the log show just after attempting to start it?
>>

> The exim4 log shows several entries stating such and such message is
> frozen.

so, there is no new information in the log after your try to restart but
you also get no exim4 process running? is that correct? what about
/var/log/exim4/paniclog?

There is no "paniclog" file in the /var/log/exim4 directory.  Only
various mainlog files.

>> please provide output of
>>
>> dpkg -l exim\* | awk '/^ii/ { print $2, $3 }'
>
> Running this command gives me the following:
>
> exim4 4.63-17
> exim4-base 4.63-17
> exim4-config 4.63-17
> exim4-daemon-light 4.63-17

looks fine.

>> also please provide /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf (you can strip
>> the comments.
>

> That conf file contains:
>

> dc_eximconfig_configtype='internet'
> dc_other_hostnames='student-test.ucwv.edu'
> dc_local_interfaces='127.0.0.1'
> dc_readhost=''
> dc_relay_domains=''
> dc_minimaldns='false'
> dc_relay_nets=''
> dc_smarthost=''
> CFILEMODE='644'
> dc_use_split_config='false'
> dc_hide_mailname=''
> dc_mailname_in_oh='true'
> dc_localdelivery='mail_spool'
>
> Should the dc_local_interfaces='127.0.0.1' be the "real" ip address?

no, that just specifies that you will only consider the localhost to be
local. There are configurations where you might want to accept mail from
several hosts and consider it all "local".

> Also, I've set Outlook to indent emails that I reply to, but it isn't
> doing it.  I either need to fix it, or find another client.  Sorry if
> my emails are hard to read, I'm working fixing that....

get a different client, if you can. Thunderbird is easy and there is a
plugin for replying to lists. There is also sylpheed for windows I
think... this assumes you can't get hte darn mail working. I'm tempted
to have you purge and reinstall the whole exim4 suite, but hopefully
someone else will pipe in here shortly.

Thunderbird it is.

> On top of that, I'm a little unsure of where I should put my replies?
> Once I get the original email to be indented, is it "OK" to post
> replies in the body of the email I'm replying to?

yes, its called inline-response or something like that and it looks
exactly like what you see here in this mail. It is the preferred
method, coupled with trimming out unneccessary stuff like old sig  lines
and non-pertinent information.

Sounds good, no more top-posting from me.....

Nathan