Re: More fun (not!) with JRE

Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 10:13:43PM +0100, andy wrote:
Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 06:59:22PM +0100, andy wrote:
Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
that doesn't mean you shouldn't try though...
Oh I will, trust me!! ;-) Just as a point of fact however, Java is supposed to be OS independent isn't it. I'd look stoopid if I go spouting off on something that is untrue ... not good for my credibility
I guess its supposed to be, but how well that works is debatable. My
very rough understanding is that some of the stuff is _not_ platform
independent. just to refresh my memory, which JRE are you running? A
My version is sun-java6-jre (apparently arch independent).

I was able to capture some error code when accessing the site. This is the result of my attempt to call
javascript:parent.chat_applet_frame.document.chatapplet.openRoom1()

Error: node : TypeError: Value undefined (result of expression
parent.chat_applet_frame.document.chatapplet.openRoom1) is not an object.
Cannot be called.

I don't much about this kind of thing, but I'd say that this appears quite obvious that the fault is on the site side rather than on my side ... except this is where I spoofed the user agent string, so don't know if that confused things a bit.

The errors you describe are Javascript errors. And Javascript has got nothing to do with Java... (apologies if that sounds like I'm offending you. I'm not).

Karl & John

Thank you for your replies.
Karl, no offence taken :-) I'm the first to admit that I am a bit of a dummy when it comes to computers: I admire how they work and the folk who code all of those programmes, but I got stuck trying to work my way through Python's OOP and classes and although love the symmetry of Scheme and Lisp can do precious little with either except very basic maths. So really, no need to apologise! If these are javascript errors as you both suggest - why does it appear that other people are still able to access and work with the applets?

In any event, I have had a long discussion with the course tutor and he has told me that they will be looking at this over the course of the year. Because of the technical hitch, I have had to withdraw from this module and will pick it up next year, so I'll see if he was just blowing smoke!

Thanks all for your input on this issue.

Best wishes

Andy