Re: More fun (not!) with JRE

On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 06:15:11PM +0100, andy wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 05:22:31PM +0100, andy wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Debianistas
>>>
>>> and it still doesn't work using an XP machine with IE6.
>>
>> If it doesn't work with XP and IE6 then what the heck does it work
>> with?
>>
> Go figure! I have no idea, but judging from the discussion forum that is
> linked to the page, many people with Windows are reporting problems. The
> typical response so far seems to be upgrade (!) your browser and JRE. One
> suggestion which even I thought was particularly smart was for the user to
> turn off their firewall!!

nice. Maybe you could ask them all to kindly report their ip's so we
can verify that their firewalls are down? Holy crap that's just
ridiculous. What sort of operation are they running and what kind of
class are you taking?

The snarky response to them is that the class description didn't
specify that you need a particular OS and browser to take the class,
so maybe they'd be willing to refund the cost of such OS...

>>> I am beginning to feel compelled to start an argument with the course
>>> admin about their reliance on this piece of software for their distance
>>> learning option,
>>>

>> There was a lengthy thread a few months ago about how to convince
>> professors to use non-windows-only formats for required reading
>> materials and class notes. I think the upshot was you can only be
>> courteous and hope to make an impression while preparing to be ignored...
>>
>> In your case, you may not have much choice in that the professors may
>> not have a choice as to what they use. It may be dictated further up
>> the ladder. Certainly a polite conversation with the professor is in
>> order, but be prepared to be frustrated. Hopefully, they'll understand
>> you and maybe direct you to the right people to make a change. I think
>> you should expect a long battle though _and_ be prepared to offer a
>> viable alternative. That includes the possibility of setting up a
>> test installation to demonstrate your alternative (assuming you get
>> that far).
> I can understand that and although I have not researched the thread you
> note, I have a nasty suspicion that any discussion with profs or techs that
> I do have *will* end in frustration. I was under the impression that JRE
> was supposed to be platform independent. Perhaps I have gotten the wrong
> end of the stick?

that doesn't mean you shouldn't try though...

good luck