More fun (not!) with JRE

Dear Debianistas

A wee while ago, some of you were kind and patient in helping me out in my efforts to access a website that relied on Java (JRE). Despite your best efforts, I am still unable to access the site in the way the developers (and the course administrators) expect me to. It is supposed to be a chat window of some sort, and I tested it from work today, and it still doesn't work using an XP machine with IE6. I don't know if I am the only one with these issues, and I'd love to point you in the direction of the site, but it is password protected and in good conscience, I cannot give out the logon details here.

I am beginning to feel compelled to start an argument with the course admin about their reliance on this piece of software for their distance learning option, and I was wondering if there are any developers/people in the know here who have any substantive arguments against the use of JRE? On the target web-page, they have a long list of error codes, etc. and ways of fixing these (allegedly) which amount to updating to the latest JRE, and this suggests that others have also found this to be buggy.

It is bad enough that so many training courses and universities still develop these distance learning courses with only Windows (or at most with Mac) in mind, but then to get stuck and excluded because of some crummy JRE applet not functioning as it should just really pisses me off. I'd like to raise this issue to the course admins awareness, and would appreciate any input if you feel you have a contribution to make. Or, alternatively, is it just me and I'm merely being a trifle grumpy in my old(er) age?

Thanks

Andy