Re: Problem upgrading to libc6 2.5-9 amd64

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 08:39:41 -0000, pedxing wrote:
> On Jun 7, 9:50 am, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 08:04:54 -0000, pedxing wrote:
> > > I ran into this problem when trying to do my weekly aptitude upgrade
> > > on an AMD64 system running Lenny:
> > > ----
> > > Preparing to replace libc6 2.3.6.ds1-13 (using .../archives/
> > > libc6_2.5-9_amd64.deb) ...
> > > Unpacking replacement libc6 ...
> > > dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.5-9_amd64.deb
> > > (--unpack):
> > >  trying to overwrite `/usr/lib64', which is also in package gtk-qt-
> > > engine

[...]

> > It seems to be bug #421581 which is fixed in Sid. You could try to
> > install the Sid version of gtk-qt-engine or wait until it comes to
> > Lenny. You can probably also temporarily uninstall gtk-qt-engine if you
> > want to upgrade libc6 now without putting Sid packages on your system.
> > (Using dpkg with --force-overwrite should also allow you to install the
> > new version of libc6, but I would avoid resorting to --force-* unless
> > absolutely necessary.)
>
> I guess I'm not too clear on how the package flow from unstable to
> testing is supposed to work.  I figured that it would get fixed in
> unstable (it did), and then would "trickle down" to testing (it
> hasn't).

The fixed version of gtk-qt-engine (1:0.8~svn-rev36-2) is available in
testing.

> This condition is preventing me from applying -any- updates, so I've
> got a huge backlog of updates.  I figured I would just be patient and
> wait, but it's been 1.5 months since I've been able to update my
> system at all.

I think that your system is stuck at the moment because apt is
determined to fix the libc6 problem before doing anything else. You will
have to help things along a bit (see details below).

> I don't want to put Sid packages on my Lenny system and I don't want
> to force anything.  But I also don't want to sit here without any
> updates.  Removing gtk-qt-engine isn't really an option because of all
> of the dependencies.
>
> Is my system hosed?  If so how?  I don't see anyone else having this
> problem, but I can't believe I have to re-install because I have
> always been good about only using aptitude to do regular updates (ie.,
> no pinning, no funny business forcing packages, etc.).
>
> What have I done wrong, and how can I get back to normal?

You did not do anything wrong; you just had bad luck and performed an
upgrade at the wrong time.

I think you can eliminate the problem like this:

1) Download the fixed version of gtk-qt-engine:

   wget http://ftp.debian.org/pool/main/g/gtk-qt-engine/gtk-qt-engine_0.8~svn-rev36-2_amd64.deb

2) Shut down X, go to a tty and become root. Then install the new
   version that you just downloaded:

   dpkg -i gtk-qt-engine_0.8~svn-rev36-2_amd64.deb

3) Now it should be possible to complete the installation of libc6:

   dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.5-9_amd64.deb

4) Apt should be able to fix the rest on its own after that:

   apt-get install -f

5) Now you should be back in business.

          Florian   |