Re: Problem upgrading to libc6 2.5-9 amd64

On Jun 7, 9:50 am, Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+deb...@icfo.es>
wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 08:04:54 -0000,pedxingwrote:
> > I ran into this problem when trying to do my weekly aptitude upgrade
> > on an AMD64 system running Lenny:
> > ----
> > Preparing to replace libc6 2.3.6.ds1-13 (using .../archives/
> > libc6_2.5-9_amd64.deb) ...
> > Unpacking replacement libc6 ...
> > dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.5-9_amd64.deb
> > (--unpack):
> >  trying to overwrite `/usr/lib64', which is also in package gtk-qt-
> > engine
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> >  /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.5-9_amd64.deb
> > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
> > A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
> > dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libc6-dev:
> >  libc6-dev depends on libc6 (= 2.5-9); however:
> >   Version of libc6 on system is 2.3.6.ds1-13.
> > dpkg: error processing libc6-dev (--configure):
> >  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> > dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of locales:
> >  locales depends on glibc-2.5-1; however:
> >   Package glibc-2.5-1 is not installed.
> > dpkg: error processing locales (--configure):
> >  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> > dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of binutils:
> >  binutils depends on libc6 (>= 2.5-5); however:
> >   Version of libc6 on system is 2.3.6.ds1-13.
> > dpkg: error processing binutils (--configure):
> >  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> >  libc6-dev
> >  locales
> >  binutils
> > ----
>
> > Is this just a transient condition, or do I have a problem?  Should I
> > be reporting a bug?
>
> It seems to be bug #421581 which is fixed in Sid. You could try to
> install the Sid version of gtk-qt-engine or wait until it comes to
> Lenny. You can probably also temporarily uninstall gtk-qt-engine if you
> want to upgrade libc6 now without putting Sid packages on your system.
> (Using dpkg with --force-overwrite should also allow you to install the
> new version of libc6, but I would avoid resorting to --force-* unless
> absolutely necessary.)

I guess I'm not too clear on how the package flow from unstable to
testing is supposed to work.  I figured that it would get fixed in
unstable (it did), and then would "trickle down" to testing (it
hasn't).

This condition is preventing me from applying -any- updates, so I've
got a huge backlog of updates.  I figured I would just be patient and
wait, but it's been 1.5 months since I've been able to update my
system at all.

I don't want to put Sid packages on my Lenny system and I don't want
to force anything.  But I also don't want to sit here without any
updates.  Removing gtk-qt-engine isn't really an option because of all
of the dependencies.

Is my system hosed?  If so how?  I don't see anyone else having this
problem, but I can't believe I have to re-install because I have
always been good about only using aptitude to do regular updates (ie.,
no pinning, no funny business forcing packages, etc.).

What have I done wrong, and how can I get back to normal?

-pedxing