Re: Benefits of using aptitude

On Wednesday 18 July 2007 21:31:28 Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> Still, if you're used to apt-get, I don't really see a reason to switch.
> >> I always recommend aptitude, but never tell users to switch from apt-get
> >> on a running system. If I should, please let me know the reasons.
> >
> > The biggest benefit (at least until the new apt) would be the automatic
> > removal of dependencies. Otherwise the TUI is quite useful sometimes,
> > (especially when "browsing" for new packages), the search patterns, ...
>
> I actually keep wondering why apt-get and aptitude are not merged into one
> (it looks like it good almost be done by just renaming aptitude to
> apt-get).

No! Please don't recommend doing that.  While aptitude and apt-get are both
front ends for dpkg, they are quite different in how they operate.  Sure,
aptitude will accept many of the same paramaters as apt-get, but it's
dependency handling is quite different.

If one uses only aptitude, there is no problem, but if one mixes the two
commands, then aptitude will eventually get confused and want to remove vital
components.

What is worse, is that when running Sid, aptitude gets confused on packages
disappearing, or being renamed.  It's recoverable, but a royal PITA when
having to deal with the problem.  This point is of course irrelavent if one
is running Etch.  With Lenny, it's somewhat relavent.

Joe