Re: Benefits of using aptitude

Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 07:10:17AM +0000, Silke Suck wrote:
>
>> Still, if you're used to apt-get, I don't really see a reason to switch.
>> I always recommend aptitude, but never tell users to switch from apt-get
>> on a running system. If I should, please let me know the reasons.
>
> The biggest benefit (at least until the new apt) would be the automatic
> removal of dependencies. Otherwise the TUI is quite useful sometimes,
> (especially when "browsing" for new packages), the search patterns, ...

I second the bigness of the removal of deps benefit.  I also like the
historical record in /var/log/aptitude, the integrated apt-cache
features, and the perhaps mistaken perception that aptitude seems to
be better able to resolve conflicts when they occur.  I also like that
it has two UI's: both are often handy.

Jim