Re: [OT] Samsung-provided linux drivers could be dangerous

On 7/17/07, Anson Gardner <ansongardner@poncacity.net> wrote:
http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/Samsung_Linux_printer_driver_modifies_the_permissions_of_many_executables

I was going to recommend a Samsung Laser printer (like my ML-2250) on
the "Economic Printer" thread, but now maybe not.

I remember seeing a new printer driver for non-PS/PCL color laserjets
pop up in the "New packages" section of Synaptic a few days ago. IIRC
it was for a Samsung design.

If you are going to get a B&W laserjet, ones that support PS/PCL are
cheap enough these days that buying a bottom-of-the-barrel one with a
proprietary language is really inexcusable if you are using Linux
and/or have a commitment to free software. You're just shooting
yourself in the foot for a couple of bucks.

FWIW, I highly recommend my HP LaserJet 1320. Native PCL6 and PS level
2 emulation.