Re: nfs client does not mount server-shares automatically on boot

On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 03:38:56PM +0000, randhir phagura wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Debian; using etch.
>
> I have installed nfs on server and clients. It is functional manually but
> does not mount the shares automatically from /etc/fstab.
>
> I have modified /etc/init.d/mountall.sh to mount nfs by changing the
> 'nonfs' to 'nfs' in the lines shown below"
>
> mount_all_local() {
> 	    mount -a -t nonfs,nfs4,smbfs,cifs,ncp,ncpfs,coda,ocfs2,gfs \
> 		-O no_netdev
> 	}
>
> While booting the error ('Failed' shown in red) is as under:
>
> "Mounting local filesystems."
> "mount on nfs Server 192.168.1.7 failed. The Server is is down"
> "Failed"
>
> But the server is very much up.
>
> Extract from my /etc/fstab is as below:
>
> 192.168.1.7:/home/rsp  /mnt/rsp  nfs     soft,nfsvers=2              0
>  0
> 192.168.1.7:/home/shp  /mnt/shp  nfs     soft,nfsvers=2              0
>  0
>

> After loging-in as a user I can mount nfs by just running command 'mount
> -a' on the terminal.
>
> I suspect that the script 'mountall.sh' is executed before the network is
> up. And there is no link for starting this script in any of the
> '/etc/rc?.d' directories. So I cannot makeout at what stage this script is
> executed. But it is executed during boot, for sure. I say this because
> after reversing the changes, there is no error but the nfs shares are not
> mounted still.

nfs shares (on my sid system) are mounted by mountnfs.sh which is linked
in rcS.d as S45mountnfs.sh. This comes after S35mountall.sh and S39ifupdown.sh and
S40networking.sh so networking should be fully up by the time it tries
to mount the nfs shares.

and so far as I can tell, they just work. check for
/etc/rcS.d/S45mountnfs.sh and /etc/init.d/mountnfs.sh as a place to
start.