Re: nfs client does not mount server-shares automatically on boot

On Tue July 17 2007 08:38, randhir phagura wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Debian; using etch.
>
> I have installed nfs on server and clients. It is functional manually but
> does not mount the shares automatically from /etc/fstab.
>
> I have modified /etc/init.d/mountall.sh to mount nfs by changing the
> 'nonfs' to 'nfs' in the lines shown below"
>
> mount_all_local() {
> 	    mount -a -t nonfs,nfs4,smbfs,cifs,ncp,ncpfs,coda,ocfs2,gfs \
> 		-O no_netdev
> 	}
>
> While booting the error ('Failed' shown in red) is as under:
>
> "Mounting local filesystems."
> "mount on nfs Server 192.168.1.7 failed. The Server is is down"
> "Failed"
>
> But the server is very much up.
>
> Extract from my /etc/fstab is as below:
>
> 192.168.1.7:/home/rsp  /mnt/rsp  nfs     soft,nfsvers=2              0
> 0
> 192.168.1.7:/home/shp  /mnt/shp  nfs     soft,nfsvers=2              0
> 0
>

> After loging-in as a user I can mount nfs by just running command 'mount
> -a' on the terminal.
>
> I suspect that the script 'mountall.sh' is executed before the network is
> up. And there is no link for starting this script in any of the
> '/etc/rc?.d' directories. So I cannot makeout at what stage this script is
> executed. But it is executed during boot, for sure. I say this because
> after reversing the changes, there is no error but the nfs shares are not
> mounted still.
>
> What more is needed here?
>
> Any suggestions please?

I'm no expert on these things. In my case I have to add noauto to my nfs lines
in fstab because I don't want the nfs shares mounted at boot. I never had to
edit any file and any nfs shares were always auto mounted  at boot without
noauto.

Mind you it has been quite some time since I have looked at or changed any of
the options for anything in fstab, it's possible the behavior has changed in
the mean time and I didn't notice.