Re: Lenny Install CD kernel version.

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007, koffiejunkie wrote:

Jeff D wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2007, koffiejunkie wrote:

Alan Ianson wrote:
On Sun July 15 2007 07:53, koffiejunkie wrote:
I checked after booting off the disc - it was 2.6.18

I used the businesscard iso, maybe there is a difference.

I'll give that a try, thanks.

for what its worth, i just grabbed both netinst and the buisines card iso files from: http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily.new/arch-latest/i386/iso-cd/
and both of them contain the 2.6.21 kernel in them.

I'm not really concerned with which kernel the installer installs. I need the install CD itself to run the 2.6.21 kernel.

I just tried today's (15 July) businesscard ISO, booted of it with the following command:

expertgui vga=0x342

When the installer came up, I hit Ctrl+Alt+F2 for a console, and did a uname -a. It gave me 2.6.18. This is what I want to check before downloading: which kernel the install CD uses, not which kernel it installs.

The reason is that 2.6.21 fixes an ACPI bug that prevents the CPU fan in my notebook from working correctly (if at all), amongst other things. I can install and upgrade the kernel, and that works fine, but I have to set up power management by hand, mostly. I want to see if I install of a disc running 2.6.21, i.e. it should detect and configure ACPI correctly, if it makes any difference to the default setup I get after installation.

are you sure you have the right one? The iso I downladed was built on the 10th. This is from the boot kernel of it:

[install.386]$ strings vmlinuz  |grep 2.6
2.6.21-2-486 (unknown@Debian) #1 Mon Jun 25 20:09:51 UTC 2007

I just booted up off of that and it booted up to the 2.6.21 kernel

-+-
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.