Re: apsfilter: error creating directory for temporary files

On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 08:53:36PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> writes:
>
> > I'm trying to get apsfilter setup to work on my PII box.  Everything
> > works from the apsfilterconfig program run by root but I get this when I
> > try to print with
> >
> > 	lpr -Pibmoki [filename]
> >
> > Either as root or myself.
> >
> > I have pam-tmpdir installed that sets up per-user $TMP ,
> >  i.e. root has TMP=/tmp/user/0
> >
> > I'm assuming that this has something to do with it.  Whatever user the
> > lpd is running as is ending up with root's $TMPDIR
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> apsfilter is fairly old and unmaintained.  Is there any reason not to
> use CUPS with the cupsys-driver-gutenprint, hplip or Foomatic drivers?
>
> If you have to use apsfilter (though there are alteratives available),
> I would suggest first filing a bug report, or contacting the
> maintainer.

Perhaps its only my impression, but isn't CUPS a rather large
sledgehammer?

Is everything cups now?  As in, is all the development and maintenance
happening to cups rather than to LPRng, apsfilter, et-al?

Right now, for a spooler, I'm using good-ol lpd.  At least it should be
well maintained since its still the standard print spooler on OpenBSD.
Since they're so licence-concious (BSD slant vs the GPL slant of
Debian), I asked what BSD filter programs there are: none.

So if all the focus, maintenance, support, etc is on CUPS, I guess I'll
go with cups.

Thanks,

Doug.