Re: Automatic deployment and maintenance

Sebastien,

I have been looking for something very similar.  I have the need to
control ~300 machines that act as the gateway for many different
networks.  The software on the machines would be nearly identical.
All of the decision about which packages get released to which machine
would be controlled by a server.  I would need to be able to create
groups of machines which should get one package while other machines
wouldn't, etc.  I guess I really am looking for a red hat network for
debian.  I asked about this kind of thing in #debian-custom and
someone there pointed me to cfengine2, parrot, and/or FAI (Fully
Automated Install).  Of these parrot seemed to be the most appropriate
and most active.  I wonder how close I/we can get to this kind of
system by cobbling together existing tools.

Mark.