Re: Some ALSA apps stopped working [REALLY SOLVED]

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 17:49:11 +0100, Chris Lale wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 10:30:15 +0100, Chris Lale wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> Problem solved. alsaconf runs the obsolete command "update-modules" which
> >> modifies /etc/modprobe.d/sound and /etc/modprobe.conf if present. According to
> >> the update-modules man page the existence of /etc/modprobe.conf will cause
> >> /etc/modprobe.d/ to be ignored by Debian packages which store their
> >> configuration files there.

[...]

> I have reported this as a bug [1], but the initial response is not encouraging
> ("Hey you guys out there, why are you using alsaconf?").

I noticed your "wontfix" today when I checked out the BTS because I
wanted to submit a patch for the Sid version of alsaconf. (Alsaconf
1.0.14-1 fails to load any sound module after it configures everything,
therefore it effectively breaks sound.) I found that someone had
reported the bug (#430624) and it had been closed already, citing the
same "alsaconf is not needed anymore" reason.

It seems that udev is now supposed to handle everything. You can indeed
run

udevtrigger --verbose --subsystem-match=sound

and all necessary modules are loaded again (at least in my case). I
think you can still use alsaconf to choose a particular sound card (if
you have more than one), but you now have to trigger the loading of the
modules yourself afterwards (with alsa-utils 1.0.14-1).

[...]

> I have also summarised this thread on the NewbieDOC wiki [2].
>
> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=432678
> [2] http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Sound_in_Debian_GNU/Linux#Some_applications_.28OSS_applications.29_produce_no_sound_in_ALSA

          Florian   |