Re: Some ALSA apps stopped working [SOLVED]

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 19:49:55 +0100, Chris Lale wrote:

[...]

> I've now discovered why /dev/dsp disappeared - /dev/dsp is deleted when I run
> alsaconf! This might be related to unreproducible bug #406738: alsa-utils:
> Running alsaconf stops sound card from working[1]. Not quite the same because my
> sound card(s) work but the OSS apps (eg XMMS) do not.
>
> Should I report this as a new bug?

I am not even sure if this is really a bug. It seems that alsaconf loads
the correct alsa driver in your case. This is all it is supposed to do,
if I understand the script correctly. (The relevant line is "modprobe
$CARD_DRIVER".) I do not know if this is supposed to trigger the loading
of snd_pcm_oss. (Some people might not want to have the OSS legacy
support modules loaded by default.)

          Florian   |