Re: icedove 2 uses a lot of bandwidth

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 07/07/07 09:31, Lorenzo Bettini wrote:
Matthew K Poer wrote:
On Saturday 07 July 2007 4:12 am, Lorenzo Bettini wrote:
Hi

I like the new features of icedove 2 (thunderbird), but when I'm using a
56k modem, I noticed that it uses a lot of bandwidth (especially upon
the first get messages of the day); I'm using only IMAP.

I think this is due to the fact that it builds a summary (the one shown
in the right bottom corner of the screen) of the new arrived emails by
inspecting all the IMAP folders.

Is there a way to disable this feature?  I couldn't find it in the
preferences...

thanks in advance
    Lorenzo

Look under preferances for a setting called "Fetch Message Headers Only." That should save you from having to download each message at once.

with IMAP I only fetch message headers only (and actually I didn't find that option in the preferences); I think the problem still persists also when downloading message headers only: thunderbird seems to inspect all the folders for new message headers to show the summary... I'd like to get rid of that summary...

Ah.

Right-click on each folder and choose Properties. Make sure that the "Check this folder for new messages" box is un-checked.

Other than that, I think you'll have to suffer.  Or revert to Tbird 1.5.

Hi

I've just checked: all my folders have that box unchecked, so the problem is not there :-(

--
Lorenzo Bettini, PhD in Computer Science, DSI, Univ. di Firenze
ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     (GNU/Linux User # 158233)