Re: aptitude wants to remove these. Do I need them?

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 00:01:42 +0530
arijit sarkar <arijit.2612@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 14:07 -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> > ---- cut -----
> >
> > My rule of thumb for this kind of questions is that "if the package's name
> > does not ring a bell, you dont need it". The beauty of Debian is that,
> > installing it at a later time (if you find that necessary) is a breeze. It
> > might not be the case if you are running sid though! But if you are running
> > sid, I assume you know what you are doing...
>

> My rule of thumb:
> 1. install 'deborphan' package.
> 2. run it.
> 3. you can safely remove the packages listed by deborphan.
>
> It never let me down.

I'm not sure deborphan would work as well for a programmer who installs
development libraries as it does for a non-programmer.  IIUC, deborphan
(in its default operation) assumes that all libraries that don't have
any dependencies can be removed, but a programmer may have installed
them intentionally.  [The OP mentioned that he's a programmer doing
development.]

> Arijit Sarkar
> Kolkata, India

Celejar