Re: synchronize sendemail / cyrus / ftp / ssh password

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 01:44:31PM -0400, Matthew K Poer wrote:
> On Monday 09 July 2007 1:27 pm, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

> > > All four can authenticate against PAM!
> > >
> > > ...and since PAM can use MySQL...
> >
> > I wouldn't use MySQL.  LDAP is much better.
>
> Why? Is it faster? Easier? What?
> (I am setting this sort of thing up in the near future).

Without getting into the reasons why MySQL specifically sucks, a
directory is generally more suited to something like that than a
database.  With LDAP, you can split your directory if necessary and have
a forest of servers.  So, if you have a company with three branch
offices, you can have each branch office serve a directory of its
"local" users and then have a master LDAP server which knows which
subordinate servers are out there.

Additionally, replication using slurpd is very nice.  I know that MySQL
and PostgreSQL both support replication, however the real advantage that
LDAP gives is that it is specifically optimized for few writes and
*many* reads (which is what an authentication store will need to do).

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez