Re: synchronize sendemail / cyrus / ftp / ssh password

Am 2007-07-09 14:03:06, schrieb Roberto C. Sánchez:
> Without getting into the reasons why MySQL specifically sucks, a
> directory is generally more suited to something like that than a
> database.  With LDAP, you can split your directory if necessary and have
> a forest of servers.  So, if you have a company with three branch
> offices, you can have each branch office serve a directory of its
> "local" users and then have a master LDAP server which knows which
> subordinate servers are out there.

???

We (at the french army) have several 100 Offices and
"libpam-pgsql" plus "libnss-pgsql" is working perfectly.

All what you tell us about LDAP can be done in PostgreSQL too.

And our (and my private) PostgreSQL can much more then LDAP.

> Additionally, replication using slurpd is very nice.  I know that MySQL
> and PostgreSQL both support replication, however the real advantage that
> LDAP gives is that it is specifically optimized for few writes and
> *many* reads (which is what an authentication store will need to do).

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)