Re: lenny comfortable yet?

On Sat July 7 2007 07:54:21 am Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:

> > Check your locale settings.  I think that starting with Etch, the
> > default locale is set to a UTF8 locale.  That means that every
> > application has to treat everything as unicode.  AIUI, that makes things
> > slower.  This is espcially noticable on an older machine.
>
> Thanks.  Its probably set to en_CA.UTF-8.  I'm not convinced I need it
> on any of my systems.  Having some UTF and others 'C' makes it a pain
> when ssh-ing back and forth, running things like mutt and mc, and runing
> X apps.

My default locale is en_CA although I compile a few others as well. A couple
of the apps I use on the console don't look right when I use UTF-8.

BTW, I installed lenny last night with unstable lines added to sources.list. I
installed gnome for the desktop along with nspluginwrapper & friends and it
installed without issue.

I can't get x to start up though, it can't seem to find the nvidia driver. I'm
going to go and see if I can make it work now and if not switch over to the
nv driver for the time being.