Re: Ata controller change device order

On Sat, Jul 07, 2007 at 01:52:19AM +0200, Lars wrote:
> I'm having trouble with Debian Etch amd64 and a pci ata raid
> controller. I've seen before that when adding a pci controller the
> hd device order can shift. The pci controller get hda to hdd and
> that also happen with this installation (kernel 2.6.18-4-amd64), no
> problem there. (The pci controller just function as extra ata port
> and has no raid setup.)
> My problem started when I installed the 2.6.18-4-xen-vserver-amd64
> kernel. It seems like udev (?) can't decide if the controller is
> ranged from hda-d or hde-h. So if I boot the system 5 times, 3/2 of
> the times the pci controller is ranged at hda-e and the rest at hde-h.
> This only happens with the xen kernel, when I boot on the
> "2.6.18-4-amd64" kernel the results is stable. I got no experience
> with udev, if that is what can fix it.

This is probably fixed somewhere (either in code or documentation) for
Lenny, but who wants to wait a year (or ?)?

Assume that drives will be assigned different sd? on each boot (how are
you getting hd* in Etch?).  The trick is to use either UUIDs or lables
on the partition.  Lables are shorter than the IDs listed under
/dev/disk/UUID.

For example, using the filesystem tools for your filesystem (JFS,
Reiserfs, extfs, whatever) label each partition.  E.g. the partition
that gets mounted as /boot is labled boot.

Then use label= lines instead of /dev/ lines in fstab (see man fstab)
and the same on the kernel command line in your grub menu.list file that
points to your root filesystem.

Then it doesn't matter what order the drives are assigned, everything
will work.

Doug.