Re: tetex and texlive: changes in Debian?

On 2007-07-06, Russell L. Harris <rlharris@oplink.net> wrote:
> * H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> [070706 14:21]:
>> Tyler Smith wrote:
>> > On 2007-07-06, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > If you search the list you'll find several threads about people
>> > switching from tetex to texlive now, which is generally painless.
>>
>> Thanks for the explanation. I will probably wait and let things settle
>> on their own.
>
> Things just don't "settle on their own".
>
> The safe procedure is simply to uninstall tetex, making sure to tell
> the package tool (apt-get, aptitude, or synaptic) to PURGE the
> configuration files.

I thought the tetex packages were in the process of becoming
transitional packages that would handle the switch from tetex to
texlive for users, much like firefox automagickly replaced itself with
iceweasel. Not that that convinced me not to do the switch manually,
but for the patient why won't this 'settle on it's own'?

Tyler