Re: digikam upgrade: plugins to be remove

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 10:55:48PM +0200, Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> was heard to say:
> BTW, I just discovered that aptitude has recently learned a nifty new
> trick, the "why/why-not" command:
>
> $ aptitude why-not digikamimageplugins
> i   kde-extras Recommends digikam
> p   digikam    Conflicts  digikamimageplugins
>
> This is really useful to figure out what is going on with complicated
> dependency issues. It is currently only available to Sid users, though
> (aptitude version 0.4.5.3 or higher).

  You should also be able to get this info from the install Y/n prompt
by typing "w <package>".  The resolver prompt doesn't have this feature
yet because it should probably produce slightly different information.

  You can thank this list for the feature, I got the idea when I noticed
that something like 99% of the questions people have about apt(itude) are
of the form "WTF is this package being installed/removed/not installed?"
Because of how complicated the dependency tree is, it can be hard to
"see" what's happening, but the algorithm you need to compute the answer
is pretty trivial. [0]

  Daniel

  [0] I'm lying, this is only true if you want the sort of answer "why"
      produces, but those answers are REALLY EASY to calculate!!