Re: restarting pump (DHCP) automatically when network unavailable at boot time

On 2007-07-02 23:16:22 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > This doesn't work. Probably a kernel problem then. I've reported
> > the bug.
>
> I doubt this would be related to the kernel in any way.  Since this
> works for other people I can only assume that something specific to
> your system is messed up.  You will need to debug it.  Sorry but that
> is the best advice I can give.

OK, I confirm that this is a problem with pump (its man page sucks and
I didn't know how it should have behaved) on this particular machine.

But then, I don't see why I should use 'allow-hotplug eth0' instead of
'auto eth0'.

> Normally a dhcp client will retry.  This is true of both dhcp3 and
> pump.

On my laptop, when I type "pump -i eth0" (the device exists but is
down and not connected), I get the error message "Operation failed."
(as expected), but "pump -i eth0" is still shown by ps. So, this
confirms what you are saying.

But on the other machine (on which I have the problem I mentioned at
the beginning of this thread), when I type "pump -i eth1" (again, the
device exists but is down and not connected), I also get the error
message "Operation failed." as expected, but "pump -i eth1" is no
longer running. I think this can explain my problem if it can be
confirmed on eth0 too (I'll have to try that).

Note: I do not have a /etc/pump.conf file on any machine.

> There should messages in the /var/log/syslog file with some
> information about what is happening.

I just have:

Jul  3 14:11:22 vin pumpd[2478]: PUMP: sending discover

And on June 28/29, /var/log/syslog doesn't show anything about pumpd
at the time the Ethernet cable was disconnected.

> Hmm...  I have had problems with pump in the past and recommend dhcp3.
> Basically dhcp3 is the ISC code and pump is the Red Hat code.  In my
> experience people coming from Red Hat to Debian usually prefer pump
> because it is what they know.

In particular, this was a discussion in debian-user-french in June 2004,
so with Debian users.