Re: restarting pump (DHCP) automatically when network unavailable at boot time

Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> This doesn't work. Probably a kernel problem then. I've reported
> the bug.

I doubt this would be related to the kernel in any way.  Since this
works for other people I can only assume that something specific to
your system is messed up.  You will need to debug it.  Sorry but that
is the best advice I can give.

> > > How can I make pump (the DHCP client I'm using) to try again
> > > periodically?
> >
> > I think it should already be trying again periodically.
>
> It doesn't, even with 'allow-hotplug eth0'.

Normally a dhcp client will retry.  This is true of both dhcp3 and
pump.  There should messages in the /var/log/syslog file with some
information about what is happening.

> > Perhaps the timeout is very long. You might try dhcp3-client
> > instead. I have had good luck with it.
>
> I had problems with it in the past and users recommended pump
> instead.

Hmm...  I have had problems with pump in the past and recommend dhcp3.
Basically dhcp3 is the ISC code and pump is the Red Hat code.  In my
experience people coming from Red Hat to Debian usually prefer pump
because it is what they know.

> > > Note: When I'm in front of the machine, I still want to be able to
> > > use it when the network is not available (to do some local work,
> > > while waiting for the network to come back).
> >
> > Sure.  Laptops operate that way a lot!
>
> I have a laptop and I've always had to start pump manually or invoke
> netenv, depending on the context. Do they use 'allow-hotplug eth0'
> without anything else?

You say that you have always had to do that but I have never had to do
that.  The dhclient should start automatically.  This is further
information that something about your system is in an abnormal
configuration.

Bob