Re: Automounting USB drive on GNOME stopped working...

Cassiano Bertol Leal wrote:
> Ron Johnson escreveu:
> > Have you run "tail -n40 -f /var/log/syslog" while plugging in the pen
> > drives?  Or is that what you mean by "it will load the drivers and
> > assign a /dev/sd* node"?
>
> I will have a look at syslog when I get back home. I have monitored
> /var/log/messages and that's where I watched the pendrive and the MP3
> being recognized and and the /dev/sd* being assigned to them.

/var/log/messages is a subset of /var/log/syslog suitable for people
who are used to other systems but syslog is the superset of all log
files.  I would get used to looking in /var/log/syslog and forget
about /var/log/messages.  But in this case you probably saw all of the
same messages that are logged to syslog.

The configuration is that *.* matches everything and everything goes
into /var/log/syslog.  *.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn; auth,authpriv.none;
cron,daemon.none; mail,news.none matches somewhat less and goes into
/var/log/messages.

> Also, there's the fact that a simple 'pmount /dev/sda1' (for example) or
> a 'mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /media/whatever' will mount the drives with
> no problems whatsoever.

I am imagining that you have told Gnome to ignore the USB drive.  This
could be checked pretty easily by creating a test user such as test1
or guest or some such and then logging in as that new user.  If it
works for the pristine user's environment then you know that the
configuration issue is specific to gnome and specific to your
$HOME/.gnome*something files.

Bob