Re: Continuing saga of xorg restarts

xOn Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 11:00:19AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 08:33:43PM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> > I tried switching to VLC.  I was resetting the hotkeys, clicked Save, and
> > xorg restarted.
>
> how are you start X?

xdm

> have you looked in .Xsession-errors?

No relevant messages.

> anything showing in the VT from which X was started (usually VT-1 if
> using *dm).

No.  I'll manually start X from a vt when/if this happens again and use
script(1) to record all messages.

> .Xsession-errors gets re-written when you log in so, don't log back
> in. instead switch to a VT and see what you can find.

Oh.  Didn't know that.

> or start X with startx so you can keep it from re-starting (you'll
> just drop back to the shell when X dies). Then you can examine the
> onscreen messages and the logs. you might want to use tee with your
> startx to capture stuff that might otherwise scroll off the screen
> during your session.

I'll give that a try, as mentioned above.

> > I'm utterly unfamiliar with the internals of X.  What would VLC have been
> > doing when I clicked Save that would cause a xorg restart?
>
> who knows, but I've seen it happen a few times in sid with various
> things. Usually there is some kind of trail in the logs.

Thanks for the tip.  I do appreciate it.
--
Carl Fink                                   nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at nitpickingblog.blogspot.com.  Reviews!  Observations!
Stupid mistakes you can correct!