Re: OT: QEMU Package faster

On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 00:59 -0400, Scott Gifford wrote:
> Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > I noticed that on her machine, QEMU does not eat lots of CPU, while
> > on my machine, it eats the machine. I've copied the exact raw image
> > disc from her machine to mine, but QEMU eats my CPU.
>
> Perhaps it's a difference in processor features.  Newer CPUs from
> Intel and AMD contain special virtualization instructions that make
> running a VM much easier, and somewhat faster.  Maybe she has such a
> chip and you don't?

Nope.

To take advantage of this you need KVM, which is a fork of qemu.

What's more these hardware instructions are in their early incarnations
and in many cases, given the horsepower of the machines featuring these
instructions, using traditional software-based virtualization
(VirtualBox, VMware, or qemu+kqemu) is smoother and faster.