Re: Aptitude slow package initialization

On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 08:08:29 -0700, Arthur Barlow wrote:
> I'm running unstable on a x86 machine.  About a month ago Aptitude
> recommended uninstalling itself, which I overrode for awhile then one day
> decided to let it do it, thinking I could reinstall it.  Well, I was wrong.
>  There was a dependency problem for awhile and it's only been recently that
> I could reinstall it.
>
> The problem now is that when I run it, it takes forever to do the package
> initialization process.  It's never been this slow before.  So I did an
> "apt-get clean", which made no difference.  I also tried an "apt-cache
> gencaches", which also made no difference.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Aptitude seems to have a problem with the newest version of apt
(0.7.2-0.1). You can find a bit more information in bug report #428616,
especially the follow-up message by Daniel Burrows (the author of
aptitude). The message sounds like it might take a bit until a fix will
be available. (Daniel posts regularly on this list; maybe he will join
in with more information.) The new version of aptitude which depends on
the new apt was a binNMU (binary non-maintainer upload) which closes the
dependency bugs (and allowed you to install aptitude again), but it did
nothing to fix the start-up delay.

I ran into this earlier today (on amd64). I simply downgraded both apt
and aptitude to the testing versions and then used "forbid version" on
aptitude to lock my system into that state for the time being.

Something like this should work (provided you have "testing" lines in
your /etc/apt/sources.list):

apt-get install {apt,aptitude}/testing

You might have to include more packages in the downgrade, depending on
which other apt tools you have installed. Just run the command and if
apt-get wants to remove some other packages then you can cancel the
operation and try again with these additional packages included. In my
case I ended up doing this (otherwise I would have lost apt-listbugs and
apt-listchanges):

apt-get install {apt,apt-utils,aptitude,libapt-pkg-perl,python-apt}/testing

          Florian   |