Aptitude slow package initialization

I'm running unstable on a x86 machine. About a month ago Aptitude recommended uninstalling itself, which I overrode for awhile then one day decided to let it do it, thinking I could reinstall it. Well, I was wrong. There was a dependency problem for awhile and it's only been recently that I could reinstall it.

The problem now is that when I run it, it takes forever to do the package initialization process. It's never been this slow before. So I did an "apt-get clean", which made no difference. I also tried an "apt-cache gencaches", which also made no difference. Anyone have any suggestions?