Re: resolv.conf wrongly gets Belkin router's address

Bob Proulx wrote:
> Kent West wrote:
>
>> I replaced a dead router the other day with a new Belkin F5D7230-4
>> wireless/4-port unit.
>>

> First let me say that I am not familiar with that particular piece of
> hardware.
>
>From Wal-Mart; about $40. Wireless G Router with 4 wired ports.

>> When networking starts on my Etch box, /etc/resolv.conf gets rewritten
>> like so:
>>
>> search hydroplatenet
>> nameserver 192.168.2.1
>> nameserver 208.180.42.68
>> nameserver 208.180.42.100
>>

> I assume this interface is configured using DHCP?  Are you using
> 'resolvconf'?  What is in your /etc/network/interfaces file for that
> interface?

Yes, DHCP.

> westk[@westk03]:/home/westk> cat /etc/network/interfaces
> # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
>
> # The loopback interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
> installation
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp

(Actually, this particular interfaces file is from a totally different
machine, but it also has the same symptoms. Also, when I booted this
machine up with a Knoppix LiveCD, it too go the bogus Belkin DNS entry
in resolv.conf. So I now know it's not machine- or Debian-specific,
although it might be Debian-derived-specific.)

>> Web browsing (and other name-dependent Intarweb Pipes stuff) is very
>> slow with these settings, but if I comment/remove the first nameserver
>> line, which is the address of the Belkin router, things are fine.
>>

> Some routers proxy DNS information through themselves.  On the boxes I
> have seen that do this it is configurable and can be turned off.  It
> appears to me from reading your report that the Belkin box has offered
> its own address as a DNS server in addition to some upstream DNS
> server.

That's the way it seems to me also, but when Belkin support told me that
their router does NOT offer its own address as a DNS server, I figured I
better double-check with other Debianistas before concluding that Belkin
support doesn't know what they're talking about.

> Inspect the Belkin client DNS configuration and see if that address
> has been added to the configuration or if there is a way to remove
> that configuration.
I don't find any such settings; here's a snapshot of the only relevant
page on the Belkin setup that I can find:
http://www.acu.edu/~westk/belkin.jpg

> If they hear Debian GNU/Linux they will probably drop your support
> call immediately too.  Sigh.  It would be useful to crosscheck this
> with tests from other operating system clients.
Ag! I'm so dense. I'm so accustomed to being a Debian-only house that I
forgot my work laptop is dual-boot with Vista. I'll give that a shot.
Thanks!

> When you say Debian here you really should say dhcp3 client or pump or
> other specific dhcp client that you have installed.  If you don't know
> then you are probably using dhcp3.

Yes, dhcp3.

> Commodity routers such as those are inexpensive.  Return yours and buy
> a different brand that works correctly and avoid the problem.

Thanks for the response! I appreciate it!

--
Kent