Re: How to move the master boot record?

Rodolfo Medina wrote:
Hi, Debian users.

In my computer the master boot record is installed in /dev/hda6.  Suppose I
want to move it and have it installed in /dev/hda9: is it possible, and how?

The master boot record is always in the first sector of the drive, in your case that would be in /dev/hda. I guess you mean the boot-manager instead? That depends on the boot-manager you are using, it should display its name before it loads the kernel. Common names are grub and lilo. In don't know how grub is configured, but for lilo:

For lilo, the option of where the boot-manager is installed is set up in /etc/lilo.conf under the entry
boot=/dev/hdaX

Once you changed that line, run lilo as root, and it will update the location. Please read the lilo-manpage (man lilo) before doing this and make sure you know what you are doing, otherwise you may render your system unbootable or erase your data!

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks for any hint,
Rodolfo