Re: Dual Boot With Win XP - Debian First?

russ421@aol.com wrote:
I want to dual boot windows XP and Debian. I've seen the guides, but they all recommend that users have Windows XP installed first, and then install Debian. This allows you to set it up with the default Debian installation to use GRUB / etc. and dual boot. However, I won't have a copy of Win XP for my new machine for a month or two probably. I'd like to go ahead and install Debian, otherwise the new computer will be a paperweight.

Is it possible to install Debian first and then Windows XP later on? Can you change the Debian configurations? Is it not too difficult? Impossible?

I'm installing on two separate hard drives, so partitions shouldn't be a big problem I don't imagine. Debian on one, XP on the other.

There are a lot of ways to do this, the best one is to use something like the approach suggested by Chris Lale, make sure you have an alternative way of booting your debian install (you could even have /boot on a USB pen drive) and a Knoppix CD handy.

It took me ages to get round to figuring out and trust dual booting, (for a long while lilo or grub couldn't boot WinNT) since your using 2 physical drives you can setup linux on /hda and then when you set up Win XP pull out the Linux drive and swap in the windows one, perform your install as usual and then move the windows drive to hdb (actually better hdc so you avoid 2 drives sharing a cable if you can) as windows doesn't mind being moved after install (neither does linux with some care but it's harder) then you can get Grub to boot windows for you, or use BIOS to boot a different drive, independently.

Also while you have 2 drives you can stick a dedicated linux swap partition on your windows drive and vice versa, effectively giving the virtual memory for what ever OS you happen to be running a dedicated spindle, for ease of moving things around leave your windows partition as the first on the drive and get to know the ntfs tool on Knoppix, they rock.

Good luck

--
Garrr, do your bit for global warming, become a pirate, you can "borrow" my copy of Windows 95 if you want.